This Page

has been moved to new address

Savoring Savory Oatmeal

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish: Savoring Savory Oatmeal

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Savoring Savory Oatmeal

#49. 101 things in 1001 days: Try at least five savory oatmeal recipes

Savory oatmeal with fried egg and parmesan
I am a big fan of oatmeal, but I have always had it sweet. 

I kept my first bowl of savory oatmeal simple: Oatmeal with a fried egg and parmesan. I cooked the oatmeal in vegetable stock and added salt and pepper. Delicious!

Four more to go. How do you like your savory oatmeal?

Update: 4/16/11. For my second savory oatmeal, I went Mediterranean. 

Mediterranean Savory Oatmeal
Mediterranean Savory Oatmeal:

Oatmeal cooked in vegetable stock
Sautéed garlic
Kalamata olives
Sun-dried tomatoes
Feta cheese
Salt and pepper

It was good, too. I really liked the olives in it. 


Update: 4/24/11. 3rd recipe: Curried oatmeal with caramelized onions


Curried oatmeal with caramelized onions
First, I made a big batch of caramelized onions.


Caramelizing onions
I followed this recipe from Tea & Cookies, except I used curry paste instead of curry powder. Very tasty.


Update 5/1/2011. In Thailand, I once had a savory breakfast of jok, a rice porridge called congee in China. It was a bowl of very thin rice, topped with a variety of condiments. For my fourth bowl of savory oatmeal, I used that meal as my inspiration.

Oatmeal Congee
One part oatmeal cooked in three parts vegetable stock
Toppings:
  • Bean sprouts
  • Scallions
  • Poached egg
  • Ginger
  • Garlic
  • Cilantro
  • Sautéed mushrooms
  • Soy sauce
  • Lime
  • Red pepper flakes

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Travelbug said...

Did it really taste good? I'm too nervous to mess with my beloved oats
I'll have to try out your recipe soon :)

 
At April 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks great! I've seen many recipes but have yet to try savory oatmeal.

 
At April 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Marcy said...

So delicious! I just made some for my sons (including a picky one), and they loved it too.

 
At April 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the idea of savory oatmeal. I might try mine with a poached egg!

 
At April 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM , Anonymous tea_austen said...

Thanks for the mention. That version with the olives looks so good! Might have to try it myself:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home