This Page

has been moved to new address

Vegan for a Week, Part Two

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish: Vegan for a Week, Part Two

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Vegan for a Week, Part Two

Sweet potato enchilada


After a week of vegan eating, I am surprised how little I missed meat. I missed dairy a lot more, especially cheese and yogurt. I am sure, though, that if I did this for a longer time I would develop some serious cravings. I can’t imagine never having a cheeseburger again, or pancakes, or butter. I missed animal-based accents to meals more than big servings of the foods themselves. I wanted to sprinkle Parmesan on my soup and cheddar on my chili. I wanted to make a roux with butter. I wanted to scramble an egg in my stir-fry.

I did feel really great throughout the week. There were times when I felt pleasingly “clean” after a meal. It’s hard to describe—sort of a hungry feeling without being hungry, an absence of that bloated feeling that a greasy meal can cause.

Here are the rest of my meals from the week and some final thoughts.

Thursday

Coffee with soy milk
Cereal with blueberries and soy milk

Vegetarian chili over brown rice
Applesauce
Granola bar

Hummus with pita chips
Stir-fried vegetables over brown rice

Friday

Coffee with soy milk
Cereal with blueberries and soy milk

Vegetarian chili over brown rice
Apple
Pretzels

Vegetable dumplings
Hummus and pita
Sweet potato enchilada with beans and brown rice
Beer (Wolaver’s organic)

Day 5 comments: We went out to dinner with another couple on Friday night to It’s Only Natural, a vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Middletown, CT. It was really good and felt like a real treat after my Spartan meals throughout the week.

Saturday

Coffee with soy milk
Oatmeal with banana and blueberries

Hummus and pita bread
Homemade “clean the fridge” soup

Day 6 comments: I ate breakfast very late and didn’t have an appetite at lunchtime. For the soup, I used all the leftover vegetables from throughout the week and also threw in leftover brown rice and some quinoa and spinach.

Sunday

Coffee with soy milk
Oatmeal with banana and blueberries

Edamame
Vegetable sushi

Veggie burger with chili wrap
Pretzels

Day 7 comments: I entered the foods I ate into a calorie-counting web site to see the percentages of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. I did end up light on protein, getting about 13-15 percent of my calories from protein, rather than the recommended 20 percent. I didn’t use any tofu, having disliked it in the past, but I would add it if I did this for the long term.

Final thoughts

I want to incorporate more vegetarian and vegan meals into my regular diet, and, when I do have meat, use it more as an accent rather than the center of the meal. I also have wanted to avoid factory farmed meat and eggs since seeing Food, Inc. a few years ago, but I have never made the change. Just now I punched in my zip code on the Food, Inc. web site, and there is an organic farm within five miles of my house, so I plan to check it out.



I thought of this old commercial a lot during the week:


Labels:

2 Comments:

At April 11, 2011 at 5:36 PM , Blogger Ed said...

I enjoyed reading about your vegan adventure. But I must say that you seem to have picked a somewhat repetitive meal plan. Maybe that's an unfair comment since you only tried it for a week.

A vegan diet does not mean doing without your favorite foods. Most of the things you said you would miss on a vegan diet can be replicated with natural non-animal ingredients.

For example egg dishes such as omelets and quiches can be produced using tofu and black salt (available from indian groceries) which gives it a real eggy flavor. And there are several kinds of egg substitutes available for baking, so you can still enjoy your pancakes. Vegan parmesan can be found in natural food stores. And so on.

 
At April 11, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Marcy said...

Thanks for the info, Ed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home